WIP: Princess Luna, Part 1.
I’ve always really liked seeing progress pics and info from other people, so maybe someone will find this interesting, haha. Currently working on another darn pony, a posable Princess Luna. This is the largest pony I’ve done so far, and the first posable one.
First pic shows some of the wire frame that makes a piece posable. When I make the skeleton, I twist the wire around itself so that I can thread wool between the two pieces of wire. Otherwise, the wool wouldn’t have anything to “grab” onto. Making a piece with a wire skeleton is a lot more tedious than solid wool, with the needle constantly hitting the wire. Everything (expect the finishing details) takes more than twice as long. I have found that the wire armature works best when the entire skeleton is one unbroken piece of wire.
I add wool to limbs by dragging through the two wires, and ‘wrapping’ the wool around the wire, layer after layer. In larger pieces like this one, I usually make the core of the body out of white synthetic wool, because I have more of it, and it’s a cheaper ‘filler’. In smaller pieces, I generally don’t bother with filler.
Second pic shows the completed core of the piece. All the finer details of the character are left out. The limbs and body are made intentionally thin at this point, because the colored layers of wool will add some bulk. When I start adding color, I do it in small puffy patches, never pulling or stretching the wool across the body.